About the Profession
Alchemy is one of the professions of production – which requires materials produced with another profession, usually Herborism. Alchemists turn various reagents (mainly Herbs) into powerful consumables that fall into one of the three categories below:
- Elixirs – Provide you with a veritable and reasonably powerful bonus for a long period of time, but your effects are lost if the player dies. Each player can have up to two active elixirs – a Guardian Elixir and a Battle Elixir. Common Elixir effects are those that increase the player's secondary values – critical hit chance, acceleration, mastery, etc.
- Bottles – Provide relatively basic but vital bonuses for a very long period of time. Effects of vials also persist through death, but only one can be active at the moment. Vials increase primary status – strength, agility, intelligence, spirit, or stamina.
- Potions – Often forgotten, potions provide an instant or "explosive" enhancement. Due to their concentrated power, potions are limited to one use per combat. Common effects include an explosive increase in a primary attribute, or an instant replenishment of life or mana.
Apart from combat-oriented beverages, alchemists are also able to transmute elemental reagents, ores and gems into more powerful duplicates. For example, Pírio Bar can be created either by merging the rare Pyrite Ore or by an alchemist transmuting from Elementius Bar and a Volatile Earth, both quite common and inexpensive. Other transmutations include the transformation of three unusual gems and some herbs into one rare gem, as well as transforming one Volatile element (widely requested by various professions) into another.
Alchemy is not only about battle readiness and helping your allies with their professions – it's also fun. Skilled and lucky alchemists who have also decided to study Archaeology can create a Sand Jar, which teaches its user the exotic mount Draco de Sandstone. Potion to Find Treasures can bring a little income/profit and Stone Oil can as well… cause stiffness. Make you hardened. Literally.
Regardless of skill level, all alchemists learn Mixology, which increases the effectiveness and duration of all consumables they are able to make. This effect is personal, so only alchemists will receive the extra effect. In addition, while not a privilege-restricted part, sufficiently high skill level alchemists can create epic Philosopher's Stones such as trinems that not only provide excellent bonuses but also increase the effect of healing potions or mana when used by the alchemist.
When alchemists reach skill level of 325 and level 69, they can complete a specialization mission of the Apothecary Antonino in Outralém. Completing the mission allows them to sometimes increase the gain on elixirs, vials, potions or transmutations by up to 5 times. Every alchemist may have only one specialization, but when you complete the mission of your choice once, you can simply pay a fee and change your specialization, thus avoiding completing another time-consuming mission.
Check out our Herborism Guide on BFA (1-175) if you want to update your Herborism as well. If you don't have this profession, it's good to see if you have enough gold to buy the plants, because you'll need a lot of them.
Alchemy Trainers at BFA
In Battle For Azeroth, so you can learn the new recipes just go learn common instructor in the city of your faction. The profession is the same in both, the only difference is the name between them. While for the Alliance the name of the profession is Kul Tiraz's Alchemy, for the Horde the name is Zandalar's Alchemy.
The coaches are located in the capitals Boralus and Zandalar, you can find them at:
- Alliance: You can find Elric Valgrine at the Merchant Wind Warehouse in Boralus (74.2, 6.6).
- Horde: You can find Kumali the Smart on the Great Seal in Dazar'alor (42.23, 38,11).
Or you can also talk to some guard in Boralus or Dazar'alor and ask where the Alchemy coach is. This will add a marker to your minimap.
Most alchemy recipes in BFA have 3 ranks. Rank 2 reduces the materials needed to create a recipe, and rank 3 has a chance to create extra potions and vials. Higher rank recipes also give skill points for much longer, so it will be much cheaper to upar alchemy if you are revered with the new factions of bfa because you can use cheaper recipes for longer.
In most steps, you will be able to create multiple alchemy potions, so you cannot list the exact number of herbs needed to reach level 150 in the profession.
Keep in mind that if you are revered with most factions, then you will need less herbs as you will be able to upar using rank 3 recipes.
Below you will find a list that is usually the cheapest way to upar, but the price of herbs varies from region to region.
How to upar the profession
The characters who are Goblins got a +15 alchemy bonus thanks to their passive racial Better Living Through Chemistry. A skill that basically makes the recipes turn orange for another 15 points. (With this racial you can save a lot more gold producing low-level prescriptor by another 15 points.
38 to 40
Make 3 of any of these:
- 3x Demitri's Deception Sketch
- 3x Light Puddle Potion
- 45x Moss-star
- 3x Concealment Potion
- 45x Sirena Pollen
- 3x Sea Mist Potion
- 45x Marine Talo
You may have to earn more than 3 points if you are unlucky with skill gains in the previous phase. (or less if you're lucky)
41 to 50
Learn from your faction's profession instructor the rank 2 of the two recipes below and produce:
Remember to leave all the potions produced in your bag.
Rank 3 Recipes
Now, if you are revered with the Proudmore Admiralty/Talanji Expedition, you can purchase rank 3 of the Coastal Mana Potion recipe from your emissaries. Rank 3 allows the recipe to stay orange for another 25 points.
Then you should do:
You will reach 75 by making these potions.
51 to 65
This recipe will be yellow/green for the last points, so it is possible that you will not reach 65. You can still go to the next step, you just have to make a few more potions.
Rank 3 Recipes
Transform all your life potions and rule into Grade 3 – Coastal Rejuvenation Potion.That should take you to about 90-95.
76 to 115
Produce 50 of these:
- 50x Force Battle Potion
- 50x Battle Potion of Vigor
- 50x Intellect Battle Potion
- 50x Agility Battle Potion
The recipe will possibly be green in the last few spots, so you'll probably have to make more potions.
90 to 120
You can also make the other potions if you are revered with other factions.
- Grade 3 – Agility Battle Potion – Order Of The Embers / Voldunai – Sold by their respective emissaries;
- Grade 3 – Battle Potion of the Intellect – Proudmore Admiralty / Talanji Expedition – Sold by their respective emissaries;
- Grade 3 – Battle Battle Potion – 7th Legion / Honor Brigade – Sold by their respective emissaries.
116 to 145
Make 28 of any of these potions:
- 28x Vial of infinite depths
- 28x Bottle of Sea Currents
- 28x Chain Bottle
- 28x Vast Horizon Bottle
If you made the 3rd rank of the recipe in the previous step, then you can buy the Infinite Depths Bottle 3 rank because it is sold by the same NPCs.
If you purchased this recipe, make:
120 to 145
You can also make the other vials if you are revered with other factions.
You can enjoy the Blackmoon Fair when it is available. Thanks to the missions, you can get up to +5 skill points in alchemy. I recommend that you use these missions when you have 170 skill points in alchemy.